[xmonad] Issue 182 in xmonad: Key bindings should be showable

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Sat Dec 24 16:41:02 CET 2011

Comment #3 on issue 182 by gwe... at gmail.com: Key bindings should be showable

I vote for #3. #1 and 2 both look like they will break extensions, configs,
or both, and people simply don't care about newbie documentation enough to
support breakage just for their sake. #3 avoids this, so actually has a
chance of getting consensus.

Simplest would just be binding M-? to xmessage with a large static string
specifying the defaults. Zero breakage\* and the newbies get the
documentation they need; people customizing their config already know what
keys they modified.

Technically, we'd have to update it every time we change the default
bindings. As far as I can tell, the last time a binding was added or
removed (rather than fixed or improved), was almost four years ago, in
March 2008 when Spencer commented out M-b which was some sort of
toolbar-gap-toggle.

This seems like an improvement to me.

\* anyone binding M-? in their existing config will be overriding the
default keymap and so will not be affected. And as far as I can tell, no
one *does* - in the XMonad config archive are only two hits for `xK_slash`,
both of which are not shifted and so not question-mark bindings.