[xmonad] Issue 473 in xmonad: Enhancement to GridSelect

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Sat Aug 27 18:57:04 CEST 2011

Owner: ----

New issue 473 by andre.ra... at gmail.com: Enhancement to GridSelect

There is a function in XMonad.Actions.GridSelect named "spawnSelected" that
allows the user to select a command from a list and then spawns it.

The "problem" with this function is that'll use the same String twice: you
can't give a "title" to a command.

So I suggest that a new function is created, one that'll take
[(String,String)] as argument. The first String from the tuple specifies
the "pretty name" of the command, and the second one specifies the command
to be spawned. For instance:

spawnSelected' defaultGSConfig [("Messenger", "pidgin"), ("Mail", "chromium
--app=http://gmail.com/")]

would show a selection grid showing "Messenger" and "Mail", but that would
execute "pidgin" or "chromium --app=http://gmail.com/" depending on which I
chose.

It can be made with only a simple modification to spawnSelected, but I
don't know how it should be named, so for now I'm calling it spawnSelected'.

spawnSelected' :: GSConfig String -> [(String, String)] -> X ()
spawnSelected' conf lst = gridselect conf lst >>= flip whenJust spawn