[xmonad] Newbie question on xmonad startup capability

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Mon Sep 13 23:47:47 EDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 10:06:27AM -0400, wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu wrote:
> There is a startupHook (which will be run on every start, including
> restarts when you change your config), or you can just put the
> programs you want to start in .xinitrc (which will be run only when X
> itself starts).
> ~d

To expand on Daniel's answer a bit, you can probably get pretty far by
starting things in .xinitrc and using a manageHook to send the
programs thus started to the proper workspaces.  However, this won't
guarantee that windows on the same workspace are in any particular
order relative to one another.  You could in principle handle that
with the startupHook and some low-level StackSet munging but it would
get a bit messy.

-Brent