[xmonad] Slow focus gain

Edgar Merino donvodka at gmail.com
Fri May 21 05:40:58 EDT 2010

Hello,

Sometimes when running java under *patched* xmonad (issue 177), after
working for a while (3
hours or so) with a java application (say, netbeans) I find other
applications
(especially firefox) to be very slow at gaining focus, e.g. if I switch
from the java
workspace to the firefox one, it'll take about a second or so to give
focus to the
firefox instance. If I close the java application then everything gets
back to
normal. It gets worst as time goes by, until the java application is closed.

At first I thought this might be a problem related to the patch, but
then I saw someone saying he had experienced a similar behavior
*without* the patch and running a non java app (emacs):

Has anyone experienced a similar behavior? What can I do to troubleshoot
this? if I
run "top" I see X taking a lot of cpu when changing between WS. Any help
will be
appreciated.

This is on a machine running arch64, xmonad from darcs patched for issue
177, GHC v6.12.1.

Thanks in advance,
Edgar Merino