[xmonad] Ratpoison style focus

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Fri May 14 08:18:10 EDT 2010

Davi Reis <davi.reis at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Wagner, Ivan,
>
> Thanks for the answers, but none of these are what I am looking for.
> Ratpoison was unique in this regard, so it is a bit hard to understand
> the behavior without seeing it. Here is an example:
>
> Suppose I have two windows in a single workspace, both visible at the
> same time (e.g., vertical tiled). One of them is xterm and the other
> is firefox. My focus is on xterm and I am typing something. Then I
> decide to click a link on the browser. When I start to type again, I
> want the keys to go directly to xterm, without needing to move the
> mouse to give xterm the focus, or using some shortcut (e.g., mod+j) to
> move the focus back to xterm.
>
> In other words, I want mouse actions to have no influence on the
> focus. Pretty much the opposite of focus-follow-mouse (when you use
> the mouse) and pointer-follows-focus (when you use the keyboard).

Well, you can disable focus-follows-mouse... but I think clicking with
it might set the focus (not too sure about this).

Completely removing the mouse pointer from the equation of focus might
be possible, but I don't know enough of XMonad's details to be able to
answer this definitively.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com