[xmonad] Ratpoison style focus

Davi Reis davi.reis at gmail.com
Fri May 14 08:07:53 EDT 2010

Hi Wagner, Ivan,

Thanks for the answers, but none of these are what I am looking for.
Ratpoison was unique in this regard, so it is a bit hard to understand
the behavior without seeing it. Here is an example:

Suppose I have two windows in a single workspace, both visible at the
same time (e.g., vertical tiled). One of them is xterm and the other
is firefox. My focus is on xterm and I am typing something. Then I
decide to click a link on the browser. When I start to type again, I
want the keys to go directly to xterm, without needing to move the
mouse to give xterm the focus, or using some shortcut (e.g., mod+j) to
move the focus back to xterm.

In other words, I want mouse actions to have no influence on the
focus. Pretty much the opposite of focus-follow-mouse (when you use
the mouse) and pointer-follows-focus (when you use the keyboard).

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 1:38 AM,  <wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu> wrote:
> There's the "focusFollowsMouse" option, there are keybindings for modifying
> the focus in the default configuration, and there are contrib modules for
> moving the pointer relative to the currently focused window or screen (in
> X.A.Warp and friends). Do these handle your wishes?
> ~d
>
> Quoting Davi Reis <davi.reis at gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi xmonad friends,
>>
>> I am a long time orphan of ratpoison, and after trying ion3, dwm,
>> awesome and many others I finally settled on xmonad + kde. Simple to
>> configure and a joy to use. Great work.
>>
>> The only thing that still bothers me is not having ratpoison-style
>> focus, which means separated mouse and keyboard focus. I find it very
>> useful for writing code in my xterm (konsole, actually) while I use
>> gmail from a browser in another window. This prevents long mouse trips
>> between the browser and the terminal (and these monitors keep getting
>> bigger and bigger).
>>
>> Any hints? Is this something possible to achieve with existing contrib
>> extensions? I couldn't find anything.
>>
>> --
>> []s
>> Davi de Castro Reis