[xmonad] Re: knowing what is on each workspace and/or knowing which workspace I am looking at

Lara Michaels laramichaels1978 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 20 20:54:46 EDT 2010

Hi Justin,

Many thanks, I will apply it and recompile xmonad.

In the mean-time, I wanted to share a short script that, combined with the Gnome Window Selector, works almost perfectly for me. You will find it attached. It uses xdotool to let you pop up the Gnome Window Selector from the keyboard. Perhaps someone will find it useful.

Pros (compared to the different "pager/pager-like" solutions I have been trying out):

+ works with multiple screens
+ shows you the title of each window, not just an icon
+ works with a vertical panel

Cons:

- information is not right in front of you [you have to "pop up" the menu to see which window is where]
- Gnome Window Switcher groups together all windows currently visible into the first section of the menu, and then omits the currently visible workspaces on which they sit from the ordered list of workspaces. I would have preferred an ordered list of *all* workspaces (together with some indication of which workspaces are currently visible), but I am finding it easy to get used to the way GWS works and this is just a minor inconvenience for me.

All the best
~l