[xmonad] Copy/paste via keyboard

Ivan Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 23:12:31 EST 2010

On 19 February 2010 14:59, Chris Jones <cjns1989 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 09:46:05PM EST, Ivan Miljenovic wrote:
>> In which applications are you actually wanting to copy/paste?
>
> All/Any.

Right, there's no real generic way of doing things that I know of.

>> If you mean in the terminal,
>
> Which "terminal"?

xterm, konsole, urxvt, etc.  Whichever one you use.

>> that depends on which terminal you're referring to.  However,
>> shift-insert seems to normally paste and you can use applications like
>> xsel to copy output.
>
> Still does not tell me how I should _SELECT_ whatever I need to copy &
> paste.

With a mouse or one of the programs mentioned earlier in this thread
that allows for keyboard control of the pointer.

>> Realistically, this kind of stuff is program-specific and nothing to do
>> with xmonad.
>
> So what do I do when I want to copy-paste between between application A
> and application B..?

Copy using program A and paste into program B.

> Basically, you're confirming that xmonad does not provide a generic
> keyboard-driven copy-paste mechanism.

Exactly.

> But since no window manager that I know of provides this feature, maybe
> the flaw is in X's design and xmonad is not to blame.

I would argue that it isn't part of the WM's job to do it (after all,
the M is for Manage).  Does any other WM (or even a DE) have this
sense of universal copy/paste?

> Hehe.. Not sure if I'm the duchess or the dormouse any more.

Not sure if I get your reference...

> Thank you for your comments.

Comments are (currently) free; helpful advice is extra :p

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com
Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach  - "Even a stopped clock is right twice a
day." - http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/marie_von_ebnereschenbac.html