[xmonad] EWMH Panel in Haskell

Matthias-Christian Ott ott at mirix.org
Mon Feb 8 11:24:02 EST 2010

Hi,

recently switched from dwm to xmonad. I'm quite happy with this
decision, but I'm used to have a good status bar on top of the screen.

I tried xmobar, which had problems with background colors, and dzen2
(with dmplex and multiple instances). None of these status bars supports
mouse interaction, so they aren't a choice for me.

Since xmonad also implements the emwh specification, I tried out several
ewmh compliant panels. ouriço was most similar to dwm's status bar, but
doesn't seem very customisable and extensible to me.

Although I'm not an experienced Haskell programmer and I find Haskell
very ugly and a bit limiting, I think it would be a good idea to write
a ewmh panel in Haskell.

Is there an existing code? What are the drawbacks of ewmh (I read about
conceptual problems with xrandr)?

Regards,
Matthias-Christian