[xmonad] qtile like stack layout

Samir Unni srunni at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 07:10:13 CET 2010

On 12/30/2010 09:45 PM, joe skinner wrote:
> This works by having two stacks of windows that take 1/2 the screen each
> and can either show one the current window or all the windows in the
> current stack.

This is a setup that I've actually been looking for, but haven't found a
way to produce from the existing layouts.

> This looks like something that combineTwo should be able to do but I
> don't really know enough about haskell or xmonad to get this working.
>
> Any suggestions on how to do this

This sort of works for me:

combineTwo (TwoPane 0.03 0.5) Grid Grid

Unfortunately, all windows after the second one open in the left pane
(like a mirrored Tall). It says in the docs
(http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Layout-Combo.html)
that you'll need special shortcuts to move windows between the two
columns. I've tried to implement them like this:

     , ((modm .|. shiftMask, xK_l     ), sendMessage $ Move R)
     , ((modm .|. shiftMask, xK_j     ), sendMessage $ Move D)
     , ((modm .|. shiftMask, xK_h     ), sendMessage $ Move L)
     , ((modm .|. shiftMask, xK_k     ), sendMessage $ Move U)

It seems to have no effect though. If you can find a way to get that
working, you should be able to sort of get what you want. But from what
the docs say, to get exactly what you want will require making changes
in xmonad's core.