[xmonad] qtile like stack layout

joe skinner crypt17 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 04:45:58 CET 2010

I have been trying to get a stacked layout that works similar to the layout
used in the  qtile window manager.

This works by having two stacks of windows that take 1/2 the screen each and
can either show one the current window or all the windows in the current
stack.

ie

--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
|         stack 1            |          stack2                       |
|     window 1             |   window 1                          |
|                                |

 +------------------------------------------|
|                                |

| -------------------------------|window 2                             |
| window 2                 |                                           |
 +-----------------------------------------|
|                                |

|                                |   window 3                          |

The important thing with this is that the two columns can have windows
added independently rather than a master slave arrangement which you get
with the tall layout.

This looks like something that combineTwo should be able to do but I don't
really know enough about haskell or xmonad to get this working.

Any suggestions on how to do this

Joe