[xmonad] normal (rather than greedy) view: disable screen-focus switching?

Lara Michaels laramichaels1978 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 30 05:48:34 EDT 2010

Dear all,

Following the FAQ I have disabled greedy view, so that when I ask xmonad to show a workspace on a screen that is currently visible (on a different screen) the two workspaces don't get toggled. This works very well for me, but I would prefer if xmonad would NOT switch the focus to the other screen when I do so.

Did this make any sense? What I mean is that if

- the two screens are currently displaying workspaces 1 (on the left) and 2 (on the right)
- I have the focus on the left-hand-side screen on my desk
- I ask xmonad to take me to workspace 2 [which is already being shown on the other screen]

I would like xmonad to do absolutely nothing. Using normal view as indicated in the FAQ, this behavior makes xmonad switch focus to the right-hand-side screen (where workspace 1 is being displayed).

If there is a snippet of Haskell code I can use to do this, that would be amazing.

Many thanks for any help! : )
~l