[xmonad] Stump like behavior...

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Wed Aug 25 18:59:08 EDT 2010

You should probably reply to list instead of me because the XMonad gurus
are there.  I think what you want to do can be done using sublayouts
and/or layout combinators, but I never cared enough to try to figure out
a way to use them in a way I liked.  That's why I think someone with
more experience with those things is more qualified to answer your
questions.

- Norbert

Sean Charles [2010.08.25 1609 +0100]:
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 12:04:08 -0300, Norbert Zeh <nzeh at cs.dal.ca> wrote:
> > Sean Charles [2010.08.25 1313 +0100]:
> >>

> >> I have now tried the Roledex layout, this is nearly exactly what I want
> >> except that I want each window to be fullscreen rather than stacked the
> >> way
> >> it does... I am going to get the source code for this and modify it so
> >> that
> >> each window is the same size as the screen... it will be a good way
> into
> >> both Haskell and xmonad.
> >
> > If you want the windows to be fullscreen, then you can use
> > XMonad.Layout.Full.  This shows one window at a time and allows you to
> > flip through the open windows.  Your initial post didn't sound like you
> > wanted fullscreen, though.
>
> Correct. I want the standard tiling behaviour but with the added ability
> to open a new application in the current window but to stack them as I've
> said. Then I want a key binding to just rotate them back and forwards
> in-situ, like Alt+J/K but it moves to next next/previous application.
>
> I don't think there is anything exactly like I want... would 'sub-layouts'
> help me here by allowing me to embed one layout within another? I really
> have zero knowledge of xmonad internals right now but I am going to try to
> write this thing myself!
>
> :)
> Thanks
> Sean Charles.
>

> > - Norbert
> >

> >> Thanks for the pointers,
> >> If I get the result I
> >> want I will publish it / give it back / etc
> >>
> >> :)
> >>
> >> On Wed, 25 Aug 2010
> >> 11:48:15 +0100, Sean Charles  wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Being a long time LISP/Stump
> >> user I migrated to xmonad about eight months ago and I am totally
> hooked,
> >> just bought 'Real World Haskell' and determined to 'get into it' ASAP!!
> >> Awesome.
> >>
> >> I've read around the list but I can't see what I am after,
> >> prepared to write it myself if I have too... in stump you can create a
> >> new
> >> application in the same frame as the current one and then rotate
> between
> >> them; a circular queue of windows with the topmost one being the active
> >> one.
> >>
> >> Can xmonad do this out of the box or with some nifty configuration
> >> applied to xmonad.hs ?
> >>
> >> When I have a main window with firefox running and
> >> three smaller ones stacked beloe with pork, mutt and a shell open, I
> >> would
> >> like to be able to use the same space for emacs and swap between
> firefox
> >> and emacs as I work. It's not a problem really but I wondered if it
> would
> >> be easy to achieve the same stump-like operation?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> [...]

()  ascii ribbon campaign  -  against html e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org    -  against proprietary attachments