[xmonad] Using TwoPane

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Wed Oct 28 13:05:45 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Amy de Buitléir <amy at nualeargais.ie> wrote:

>> (Assuming Alt-Tab is your key combo for switching focus between windows:)
>
> Alt-Tab is my key combo for *cycling* through windows. I'm still in the
> habit of clicking with the mouse to give the window the focus, but there's a
> key combo for it that you can use instead.
>

>> That's what I do too, which is exactly what I so clumsily tried to
>> explain.  That leaves one of the windows you want in the master area,
>> and the other in the non-master area (slave?).  Can you then switch
>> back to the master area *without the window in the non-master area
>> changing*?
>
> I think I explained it badly. The way I do it, you don't need to switch
> *back* to the master window because you're already there.
>
> 1. Click (or whatever you do to set focus) on master window.
> 2. Alt-tab (or whatever you do to cycle) as many times as needed to get the
> window you want in the non-master area.
>
> Now you can click (swap focus) between the master and non-master windows,
> and they will stay the same.

AFAICS your instructions are *exactly* what I wrote, i.e. place one
window in master area, cycle/switch focus until the other window is in
non-master area (focus is in window in non-master area).  As soon as I
switch focus to the window in the master area (by using the mouse)
then the window in the non-master area changes.  Say that (t1)|t2
means focus is on t1, t1 is in master area, and t2 is in non-master
area.  This is the behaviour I see:

1, Start state: (t1)|t2
2. Cycle through windows: t1|(t2)
3. Cycle again to get the two desired windows on the screen: t1|(t3)

After this I can't get to the state (t1)|t3!

My only option seems to perform at least 2 steps to end up with
t3|(t1).  I'd like to have a single step where I can go back and forth
between (t1)|t3 and t1|(t3).

> Tonight when I'm on my normal computer, I'll try to do it entirely
> mouse-free so I can write better instructions.

I hope I am misunderstanding you, and that your instructions will
reduce my number of key strokes for this use case :-)

/M