[xmonad] xmonad 0.9 freeze, release schedule

Spencer Janssen spencerjanssen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 23:10:09 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 06:20:52PM -0600, Geoff Reedy wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 06:22:21PM -0500, Spencer Janssen said
> > We're preparing the long-awaited release of xmonad 0.9!  Here's the
> > time-table:
> >
> >  - Thursday, Oct 22: repository freeze
> >  - Friday, Oct 23: release candidate packaged and published
> >  - Sunday, Oct 25: xmonad 0.9 release
> >
> > The feature freeze takes place immediately.  Until the 0.9 release, please
> > apply only documentation, important bug fixes, and packaging changes to the
> > repositories.
> >
> > Between now and Sunday, we'll be working on a release announcement.  Please
> > reply with any important new features, bug fixes and compatibility notes that
> > you'd like to see in this announcement.
>
> Could we get the fix for issue 177 in for 0.9? Basically any java/swing
> apps don't work right without it and evidently things like on-screen
> keyboards too.
>
> Thanks,
> Geoff Reedy

I think that the implications of this patch are too significant to apply right
before a release.

Adam Vogt made an animated gif [1] that demonstrates one oustanding issue.
The bullets window has xmonad focus, but another window has keyboard focus, we
need a better solution there.

We will be applying this patch (perhaps with some tweaks) immediately after
the 0.9 release.  If the changes aren't too extensive, we'll make a 0.9.1
bugfix release so users don't have to wait for 1.0.

Cheers,
Spencer Janssen

[1] http://omploader.org/vMmxtbQ/out.gif