[xmonad] Cellwriter and XMonad [solved]

Toby Cubitt tsc25 at cantab.net
Thu Oct 22 00:48:40 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 12:38:24AM -0400, wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu wrote:

> >>As I could figure out, the output is supposed to go to the ACTVIVE
> >>(focused) window. When you use it with Xmonad, the Cellwriter's window
> >>is focused all the time! In e.g. XFCE the Cellwriter's window is never
> >Yes, that sounds about right. At the back of my mind, I've always vaguely
> >wondered how Cellwriter manages to accept input without grabbing the
> >focus, but not knowing much about low-level X windows programming I never
> >tried to figure it out.
>
> What happens if, rather than doFloat, you doIgnore to prevent xmonad
> from managing that window?

Genius! With doIgnore, Cellwriter never gets the focus, but still accepts
input, and the result goes to the active window as desired.

There's a very slight niggle, in that it becomes impossible to quit
Cellwriter using standard key bindings. But presumably that's what the
command-line option "cellwriter --hide-window" is for, and I can easily
use that to get things working the way I like.

Thanks very much!

Toby
--
Dr T. S. Cubitt