[xmonad] Cellwriter and XMonad

Toby Cubitt tsc25 at cantab.net
Thu Oct 22 00:32:14 EDT 2009

Hi Sergey,

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 07:41:54PM -0600, Sergey Manucharian wrote:
> I have just installed Cellwriter in my Arch Linux box to see how it
> actually works.
> > I can't seem to get Cellwriter (a handwriting recognition input
> > panel) to work with XMonad, whereas it works fine under other window
> > managers.
> It's not exactly true. It does not work under TWM too. But it works
> with XFCE. Haven't check others though.

Yes, I should have been clearer: by "it works under other window
managers", I meant "under some other window managers" rather than "under
all". As far as I remember, I've previously had Cellwriter working under
Enlightenment and Compiz. (Presumably it works under Gnome and KDE, since
Cellwriter available in a number of distributions, but I haven't
personally tested that.)

> > When I enter letters in Cellwriter and hit the "Enter"
> > button, the input doesn't seem to go anywhere.
> As I could figure out, the output is supposed to go to the ACTVIVE
> (focused) window. When you use it with Xmonad, the Cellwriter's window
> is focused all the time! In e.g. XFCE the Cellwriter's window is never
> becomes active - focus is at the previous one, and you can move the
> mouse around to make different windows to become active and accept the
> Cellwriter's output.

Yes, that sounds about right. At the back of my mind, I've always vaguely
wondered how Cellwriter manages to accept input without grabbing the
focus, but not knowing much about low-level X windows programming I never
tried to figure it out.

> But I really do not know how to overcome such a behaviour. The same
> problem will arise with any virtual on-screen keyboard.

I wonder how it works in other window managers? Or rather, what does
Cellwriter do to avoid becoming the active window in window managers such
as XFCE or Enlightenment?

> > The only Cellwriter-related config I've put in my xmonad.hs is to
> > always float it
> By the way, for me it floats without any config...

You're right, it floats for me too without any config.

Dr T. S. Cubitt
Quantum Information Theory group
Department of Mathematics
University of Bristol