[xmonad] New DarcsWatch features

Adam Vogt vogt.adam at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 16:29:50 EST 2009

* On Thursday, November 26 2009, Joachim Breitner wrote:

>Hi,

..
>3. DarcsWatch could be integrated closer in the xmonad bug tracker.
>Of course, code.google.com will not be as easily hackable as a
>self-hosted roundup instance, but maybe some interaction is possible. Is
>there an API for that? Some features that are desirable are:
> * DarcsWatch should somehow be aware of patches submitted via
>code.google.com that were not sent to the mailing list.

It could be simple enough to scrape mails from
codesite-noreply at google.com, grab the link to the issue number and patch
filename, and then scrape that page for the last link ending in that
name.
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2009-November/009218.html

Ex, to guess that the patch filename referred is actually:
http://xmonad.googlecode.com/issues/attachment?aid=5885454491537368539&name=track-currently-processing-event.dpatch

But perhaps the googlecode bugtracker can (or should?) be adjusted to
send the attachments to the list, which means that darcswatch should
pick them up without any further modifications.

> * DarcsWatch could be able to amend the ticket with the patch
>application status.
> * DarcsWatch could close tickets if a patch bundle is applied – but
>what if the patch does not work, if there are multiple patches etc.? The
>Darcs team has clearer semantics there, as patches and issues are
>tracked separately on roundup (but can refer to each other).

It would be convenient to mark bugs as patch-pending, but it looks like
a lot of effort (and does google supply a stable API for it?) for
relatively little benefit. Closing the bugs definitely doesn't fit with
how we run things currently, but it should be same effort to implement
as marking bugs as patch-pending.

--
Adam