[xmonad] [jv@informatik.uni-bonn.de: xmonad entry for HCAR November 2009]

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 19:08:53 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 2:22 PM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:
> Can someone revise the HCAR entry?
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Janis Voigtländer <jv at informatik.uni-bonn.de> -----
>
> Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:14:46 +0100
> From: Janis Voigtländer <jv at informatik.uni-bonn.de>
> To: dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
> Subject: xmonad entry for HCAR November 2009
>
> Dear Don,
>
> The xmonad entry for the Haskell Communities and Activities Report is
> already quite old. I had hoped for an updated entry for the upcoming
> edition. If you let me know, there is still a bit of time to produce a
> revision. For reference, below is the old entry.
>
> Best regards,
> Janis.
>
> \begin{hcarentry}{xmonad}
> \label{xmonad}
> \report{Don Stewart}%05/08
> \status{active development}
> \makeheader
>
> xmonad is a tiling window manager for X. Windows are arranged
> automatically to tile the screen without gaps or overlap, maximizing
> screen use. Window manager features are accessible from the keyboard: a
> mouse is optional. xmonad is written, configured, and extensible in
> Haskell. Custom layout algorithms, key bindings, and other extensions may
> be written by the user in config files. Layouts are applied
> dynamically, and different layouts may be used on each workspace.
> Xinerama is fully supported, allowing windows to be tiled on several
> physical screens.
>
> The new release 0.7 of xmonad added full support for the GNOME and KDE
> desktops, and adoption continues to grow, with binary packages of xmonad
> available for all major distributions.
>
> \FurtherReading
> \begin{compactitem}
> \item Homepage:
>  \url{http://xmonad.org/}
>
> \item Darcs source:
>
>  \texttt{darcs get} \url{http://code.haskell.org/xmonad}
>
> \item IRC channel:
>  \verb+#xmonad @ irc.freenode.org+
>
> \item Mailing list:
>  \email{xmonad at haskell.org}
> \end{compactitem}
> \end{hcarentry}

If anyone wants to do it, the relevant links are:

- http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Notable_changes_since_0.7
- http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Notable_changes_since_0.8
- http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Notable_changes_since_0.9

Quickly eyeballing, important changes include:

- XMonad.Config.PlainConfig (and its splitting off to xmonad-light)
- local modules ("Supports using local modules in xmonad.hs For
example: to use definitions from
~/.xmonad/lib/XMonad/Stack/MyAdditions.hs")
- --restart CLI option
- Util.Rplace
-- Prompt has customizable keymaps
- Actions.GridSelect