[xmonad] Emacs doesn't redraw screen after resizing font

Jim Burton jim at sdf-eu.org
Wed Mar 11 08:04:19 EDT 2009

Hi, I am using xmonad 0.8 and Gnu Emacs 23.0.60 with the xft font
backend. I set the font height of the default face to 10pt in my
.emacs but now when I open the application layout is messed up -- I've
attached a screenshot. This doesn't happen under GNOME. I can force the
screen tro be redrawn by cycling layouts, typing M-SPC until
I get back to the original. In emacs, M-x redraw-display does
nothing.

It seems that emacs opens with the larger default font then resizes
it, so I thought if I could set font height in ~/.Xresources it might
be in effect before emacs starts, but putting this in my .Xresources
has no effect:

Emacs.default.attributeHeight:100

I suppose the answer will probably be in emacs not xmonad, so I hope
you don't think it's OT. I've asked on a few emacs lists and can't
solve it...thanks.

Jim