[xmonad] Copy/Pate?

Sean Escriva sean.escriva at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 03:41:42 EDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 10:07:37PM +0000, Eric wrote:
> I finally gave up on all the bloated wm's out there, and have settled on
> xmonad after a bit of research and playing around. I'm very happy with
> it. The machine is a fresh install of archlinux with xmonad started via
> .xinitrc. It seems like a very silly issue to me, but at the same time,
> it's fairly frustrating. I'm trying to copy text from one window to
> another via X's select/middle-click copy/paste. It seems to work fine
> when dealing with the same window, but when I highlight another window,
> it either does nothing (if I havn't tried it from that window yet) or it
> will paste from the same window. Surely there must be an easy way to
> handle this, but after a bit of research, I can't find anything. What's
> the easiest way of getting this to work?

To really provide a complete answer more info is needed. _What_ are
you running in both windows? In most cases highlighting some text in
window A, switching focus to window B, and middle-clicking or using
shift+Insert will get the job done.

Unless of course in the act of switching you also manage to select
text from window B, in which case that becomes your active cut buffer.

-sme

P.S. not sure about the Pate, some prefer duck liver.