[xmonad] Problems getting decoration to work with default tiled layout

Toby Cubitt tsc25 at cantab.net
Tue Jun 16 09:51:43 EDT 2009

Brent Yorgey wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 03:02:52PM +0200, Toby Cubitt wrote:
>> I've only just started using xmonad, and am hardly a haskell guru, so I'm
>> probably making a stupid mistake here. But no amount of googling or
>> searching this list's archives has thrown up anything useful (maybe
>> because I don't know the right terms to search for).
>>
>> I'm trying to get window decoration to work, with the following minimal
>> xmonad.hs (taken more or less verbatim from the SimpleDecoration docs):
>>
>> *****
>> import XMonad
>> import XMonad.Layout.SimpleDecoration
>>
>> myLayoutHook = simpleDeco shrinkText defaultTheme
>>                  (layoutHook defaultConfig)
>>
>> main = xmonad $ defaultConfig {
>>          layoutHook = myLayoutHook
>>        }
>> *****
>>
>> The problem is, with this config all my windows are full-screen, even when
>> there are multiple windows open on the same workspace, i.e. no tiling at
>> all. And there's no window decoration visible (other than the window border).
>
> Hmm, that's strange.  Just to make sure we get the simple things out
> of the way first---

Definitely a good plan.

> are you sure you didn't accidentally switch to
> fullscreen mode (i.e. with mod-space)?

To be sure, I tried hitting mod-space a few times, and also tried
replacing the above layout hook with:

myLayoutHook = simpleDeco shrinkText defaultTheme
                 (Tall 1 (1/300) (1/2))

with no change in the behaviour.

> You should also try hitting
> mod-shift-space to to a hard reload of the layout, sometimes that's
> necessary when changing your layout (since xmonad tries very hard to
> keep your layout state across restarts).

Also doesn't seem to help. I also tried quitting xmonad completely (M-S-q)
and logging into X again, but still see the same behaviour.

> Otherwise your xmonad.hs looks fine, although I'm not very familiar
> with the decoration stuff.

Thanks for taking the time to help,

Toby