[xmonad] More trouble with KDE apps

Spencer Janssen spencerjanssen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 15:22:05 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 08:02:14PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I wrote a couple of weeks ago that kpowermon opened a full window with
> its icon, rather than going in the tray.
>
> That was annoying, but today I discover Amarok is doing the same
> thing.  That's MORE annoying, because I really want to use it.  So it
> opens a full window with junk in it, except the center, which has its
> small tray-sized icon.  This in additional to its regular window, of
> course.
>
> Any ideas what to do about this?  This is KDE 4.  The majority of apps
> work just fine, both KDE and Gnome, but a few are misbehaving
> strangely like this.  Again, I did not have the problem before
> switching to xmonad.  I am using the KDE configs in xmonad.
>
> -- John

Sadly, the bug is in KDE.  They use an undocumented (at least I can't find any
references) protocol for their tray icons, rather than the standard protocol
that other toolkits use.

I believe there was a version of stalonetray that somehow worked around this,
but I'm not sure how it works.

Cheers,
Spencer Janssen