[xmonad] So Long, Farewell

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Sun Jul 26 22:58:52 EDT 2009

XMonad folks...
Just in case anyone wants feedback about why people may or may not
choose to use XMonad, I thought I'd give some.

I'm moving away from XMonad and back to the window manager I keep coming
back to: Fvwm.  This isn't because I hate XMonad, XMonad is cool.  But I
miss my eye-candy, and I miss the ability to move and resize floating
windows with just the mouse (rather than mouse+key).  I remember seeing
a post here saying that there were two models for interacting with a
window manager: (1) keyboard alone and (2) mouse and keyboard.  But
there's also mouse-alone.  Sometimes one wishes to have a hand free, to
drink a cuppa, eat a sandwich, whatever.  Or one is using a laptop where
"mouse" (touchpad) use requres two hands, one for the touchpad and the
other for the buttons.  XMonad doesn't support that.

Then I found that it was easier to write a tiling module for Fvwm
than to write eye-candy for XMonad.  Part of that is because I'm
familiar with Perl and I haven't (yet) learned enough about Haskell.
Fvwm's modular design plus its Perl bindings enabled me to have
somewhere to start, while I didn't know where to start with XMonad.
Also, altering the decorations of XMonad seems to be a more daunting,
low-level task than adding tiling behaviour to Fvwm.
After beavering away for a few weeks, I've got my Fvwm tiling module
working well enough, and so I no longer need to use XMonad.

So, farewell.  It's been fun, and I wish y'all well.

Kathryn Andersen
--
 _--_|\     | Kathryn Andersen	<http://www.katspace.org>