[xmonad] startup programs

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Sat Jul 25 21:38:23 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 11:47:02PM +0000, Bozelos Dimitris wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> After making the usual statement that I'm completely new to xmonad and I have no clue about haskell, I have loved xmonad and I have a question to find out if I can make more out of it:
> I'm using fedora linux with xmonad and i'm preparing for a music performance. I need at the concert to be able to startup my laptop and if possible to have everything up and running, without having to switch between desktops and run terminals & programs. This means that I don't only want to run some programs at startup (which could be done in the usual way for linux with a startup script - although I don't really know much about it) but I want the programs to be ran from terminals and be placed in the desktops in the way I would do manually after launching xmonad.
> Is this possible with xmonad? Any simple tutorials available on this? Thanks,
> Dimitris

I may add to Don's reply that you may want to use manage hooks to ensure
the programs you start end up on the right workspace.  I seem to
understand from your message that this is what you want.  For example, if
you have a program whose window has window class "Mixer", and you want
this on workspace "4", your xmonad configuration should look something
like

myManageHooks = composeAll [ className =? "Mixer" --> doShift "4"
                           , ...
                           ]

and in your "main"

xmonad $ defaultConfig { manageHook = myManageHooks
                       , ...
                       }

Cheers,
Norbert