[xmonad] Gnome Workspace Switcher + Xinerama?

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Wed Jan 28 16:10:00 EST 2009

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 28.01.2009, 15:30 -0500 schrieb Tracy Wadleigh:
> I'm running Gnome Desktop+xmonad on both my laptop and my desktop.
> Works great. Love it.
>
> However, the Gnome Workspace Switcher (GWS) gets confused on my
> dual-monitor Xinerama desktop. Of course, xmonad treats my two
> monitors as independent views into different workspaces. GWS, however,
> seems (by default, at least) to treat both monitors as looking in on
> one double-wide workspace. The result is wierd behavior in GWS where
> it appears that the contents of the workspace in the out-of-focus
> monitor move to occupy its requisite half of whatever workspace the
> in-focus monitor just jumped to.
>
> I presume others out there have observed something similar. Anyone
> come up with a good workaround? (In my mind, the best solution: some
> X/Gnome configuration tweaks to get them on the same page, but I'm
> certainly open to all possibilities.)
>
> Thanks in advance for your ideas.

the problem is that GWS pretty much has this idea hardcoded that both
screens show the same workspace. What you see there is the best
approximation I could come up with without changing GWS (which is
probably not an option).

But yes, I’m also interested in better ideas :-)

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim Breitner