[xmonad] Gnome Workspace Switcher + Xinerama?

Tracy Wadleigh tracy.wadleigh at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 15:30:05 EST 2009

I'm running Gnome Desktop+xmonad on both my laptop and my desktop. Works
great. Love it.

However, the Gnome Workspace Switcher (GWS) gets confused on my dual-monitor
Xinerama desktop. Of course, xmonad treats my two monitors as independent
views into different workspaces. GWS, however, seems (by default, at least)
to treat both monitors as looking in on one double-wide workspace. The
result is wierd behavior in GWS where it appears that the contents of the
workspace in the out-of-focus monitor move to occupy its requisite half of
whatever workspace the in-focus monitor just jumped to.

I presume others out there have observed something similar. Anyone come up
with a good workaround? (In my mind, the best solution: some X/Gnome
configuration tweaks to get them on the same page, but I'm certainly open to
all possibilities.)

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

--Tracy