[xmonad] New XMonadContrib module: IndependentScreens

Wirt Wolff wirtwolff at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 22:38:07 EST 2009

Excerpts from Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH's message of Tue Feb 24 18:26:25 -0700 2009:

> Most window managers aren't really well thought out when it comes to
> multiple monitors; many of my coworkers use window managers that think
> the appropriate way to display a centered dialog under Xinerama is to
> split it across all the monitors!  (color me "wtf?" --- who could ever
> have thought that was rational?!)

Well 1/2 is a friendly rational....   ;)

But seriously though, independent screens is a great addition to the line
up, imo. It'll be even better when someday we also offer the 'some bound
to screens, some free semantics', too. I'd get frustrated if,for example,
I couldn't make pdfs visible on whatever screen I want without moving them,
but can understand wanting some workspaces banned from some screens,
e.g.  when monitors are very different resolutions or aspect ratios. Or
just cause someone likes it that way. Plenty of people have asked for
something like this; it's good to have something on offer.
--
wmw