[xmonad] [xmonad-contrib]

Wirt Wolff wirtwolff at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 09:57:56 EST 2009

> 2008/10/19 Aleksey P. Artamonov <aleksey.artamonov at gmail.com>:

> > yourself. So choose a workspace with fullscreen layout. Execute one full
> > screen program. Then one floating. Then full screen again. It would be
> > better if you could tell both full screen apps apart easily. Now focus the
> > application you ran most recent (let's call it A). Then focus down to the
> > floating application. Now this floating application is really in the focus
> > but application A has gone from the background. Instead application you ran

Now that I've been using temporary floating windows and more layouts that
hide windows I finally experience this issue. It is irritating. I haven't
looked into this much, but I believe the root cause is

Separate focus for tiled and floating layers:

To restate your example: first focus a window B 'one below floating',
then a floating one, then window A 'two below the float (one above)',
then focus down to the float, which makes the first window B,
('one below float') raise since it's one down, instead of leaving
tiling viewing the 'two below the float (one above)' window that one
would expect, which of course if it was floating you would not want
above the focused float.

> > So my question is about whether it is possible to by-pass this behavior.

Appears to be difficult to resolve or not much interest, since it's seen
some progress on related bits, but little on main issue since May 2007.
--
wmw