[xmonad] Changing module headers

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 13:50:31 EST 2009

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Spencer Janssen
<spencerjanssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 04:33:56PM -0500, Gwern Branwen wrote:
>> So with a potentially long wait until the next major release (that is,
>> not the quick fixes for X11/GHC), does anyone mind if I were to make
>> these header changes?
>
> As I've said already, please don't change the module headers.  If sim is
> broken, fix sim.
> Cheers,
> Spencer Janssen

As I said already: sim is not broken. Our conventions are broken. The
headers have massive duplication, and sim is reporting the duplication
exactly as it should.

It makes no sense to use -- for dozens* of consecutive lines: even if
the duplication doesn't bother one, it adds visual clutter and makes
editing more difficult. {--} fixes all 3 problems; why not use it?

I'm not asking every module author to go back and mess around with
formatting, or you to apply every such patch; I'm perfectly willing to
make the patches myself and push them as well.

* yes, dozens. The $usage sections alone can run ~50 lines. One is 58 lines.

--
gwern