[xmonad] Persistant layouts

Adam Vogt vogt.adam at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 12:11:24 EST 2009

* On Wednesday, December 16 2009, alexholding at lavabit.com wrote:

>Greetings!
>
>This is my first post to this list so please forgive me if its not written
>in a more apprreally appropriate style.
>
>How would i go about configuring a persistant layout across all workspaces?
>Maby a better question would be, where in the documentation does it
>outline doing this?
>What i have in mind is a mrxvt terminal spanning the bottom of the screen,
>and all my other windows opening and tiling above it, basically looking
>like this..
>
>-----------------------
>|          |          |      ...please excuse the naff ascii art. I know
>| screen 1 | screen 2 |        persistant layours are possible with xmonad,
>|          |          |         to be honest thats why im wanting to use it
>-----------------------         over the other tiling wm's iv tried.
>|                     |
>|      terminal       |
>-----------------------

>Any and all thoughts and suggestions welcome, again sorry if this post
>does not fit with the netiquette of this list.
>
>Alex

I don't exactly understand your image; what do you mean by screen 1 and
screen 2?

If those 'screens' are just windows, then that layout is just a mirror
image of one of the default layouts. There are layout modifiers that
can accomplish such rearrangments, such as this one [1].

By persistence do you mean that your terminal stays put when you change
workspaces?  (this can be had with [2])

--
Adam

[1] http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Layout-Reflect.html