[xmonad] 0.8 to 0.9.2 problems with xmonad.hs - a real mess - debug help needed please - system is freezing after a while

Wirt Wolff wirtwolff at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 13:44:10 EST 2009

Excerpts from yvonne barrymore's message of Tue Dec 01 23:19:48 -0700 2009:
> Fresh install yesterday of up-to-date xmonad and xmonad-contrib ARCH
> linux. All up to date with all necessary dependencies.
>
> The freeze starts with not being able to change windows. M+1 M+2 etc.
> And/or worse, having no ability to being up term to reboot. This is
> only vaguely what happens, I'm sorry to say. I have thought that it is
> my calls to script from in one of the xmonad.hs I posted. And of
> course there is the line in my .xinitrc that calls stalonetray and
> dzen2.

I notice you are writing xmonad information to dzen in your logHook.
If that dzen has gotten killed or is not running for some other reason
then eventually the pipe will fill up and block xmonad. That sounds like
it may be what is happening to cause your freezes. Comment out your
logHook until you get the dzen that displays the xmonad logHook info
working correctly.

For more info see the section about statusBars and freezes on:

http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Frequently_asked_questions

> Really I would first love to know what it is about both my xmonad.hs
> files I posted that are not 0.9.2 ready. If that is possible. I know
> there are elements that need to be changed or removed.  I am unable to
> do this from reading manpages at this point.
>
> Then, with good enough xmonad.hs files I can try things as I have many
> area to experiment with though first I believe I should know the
> xmonad.hs files to be good for 0.9.2. Or can you say this should not
> matter?

Attached are versions of your configs that look to me like they should
work with 0.8, 0.9, or with darcs xmonad and xmonad contrib, although
I didn't test them out beyond ensuring they would compile and looking
for obvious problems. Hopefully that will give you a better place to
work from in getting xmonad configured how you want it.

The revised configs are also viewable on:
http://hpaste.org/fastcgi/hpaste.fcgi/view?id=13507
http://hpaste.org/fastcgi/hpaste.fcgi/view?id=13508

> P.S. when I receive a reply, and wish to reply to it, do I change the
> address to <xmonad at haskell.org>,  again? And then, will the system
> know to add my reply to thread due to subject?

Typically if xmonad at haskell.org is in To: or in CC: it gets handled
correctly.

Please let us know how it goes.

regards,