[xmonad] startup programs

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 20:11:56 EDT 2009

2009/8/15 Bozelos Dimitris <dbozelos at yahoo.gr>:
> 1) Sometimes programs are placed in different order than asked in the
> startup hook, probably because of different startup times. Also sometimes
> one program might need another to successfully run. So is there a way to
> have xmonad to wait until one program has fully started before proceeded to
> the next? In my case something like
>
> myStartupHook = do
>             spawn "xterm -e '/usr/bin/jackd -R -dalsa -r48000'"
>             a command for " wait until jackd has ran " or " wait 5 seconds "
> and then
>             spawn "xterm -e 'chuck --loop --srate48000'"

Back when I was using ratpoison & stumpwm, the advice was to use the
xtoolwait program which will start a program and wait for it to map an
X window before exiting. I'd guess you'd do something like 'spawn
"xtoolwait jacked && xterm"'. (Jacked is a GUI program? If it isn't,
regular shell scripting should be fine, shouldn't it?)

--
gwern