[xmonad] Sticky windows, switch stacks and so on

Sean Escriva sean.escriva at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 11:59:11 EST 2008

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 06:37:20PM +0200, E.L.K. wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm using xmonad some time (and have started to learn haskell to be able to
> configure it) and so i have some questions like "is
> this possible?".
>
> 1. Is it possible to have several windows to be placed on top
> everytime, disregarding on layout or workspace currently
> selected? Theese windows should not take focus (this mainly
> needed for me to show some information windows like trayer and so
> on on edges of screen). I know something about "avoid struts" and
> it seems to be not what I need, as it reduces workspace zone. I'm
> for now want only trayer window at top right corner.

I believe this is the default behavior when not using ManageDocks,
someone else can correct me.

> 2. Is it possible to have something like stack of window (or
> workspace) switching? I mean, for example: I want to switch to
> "web" workspace to search some documentation and then switch back
> to "3" workspace to continue work, but for this i need to
> remember where i was all the time while i searching doc. Can
> there be something like "go back" function?

absolutely! look at XMonad.Actions.CycleWS in contrib, specifically
toggleWS

> 3. Is it possible to have hidden window present on all workspaces
> in floating layer? And with ability to toggle it visiblity
> status. (This will be useful for accessing audio player, for
> example, of course, if item 2 is possible, then it can superseed
> item 3 (: )

scratchpad is very useful for this, XMonad.Util.Scratchpad in contrib

> 4. Is it possible to make sticked layout for some workspace?
> The reason i'm asking - i have "chats" workspace, where windows
> should be arranged some convinient way. But this arrangement
> makes sense only for this workspace, so i don't want to have this
> workspace in layout toggling cycle and don't want to be able
> change layout on "chats" workspace to make sure i will not break
> it accidentaly.

XMonad.Layout.PerWorkspace will let you specify layouts per workspace
in the manner you describe

> If something is possible, and where i should search for it?  I'm
> for now completely lost in types/functions/internals of xmonad
> and will appreciate if somebody gives me directions for
> investigation.

One of the best things you'll find about xmonad is how completely
customizable it is, without needing too much knowledge of
type/functions/internals. Although that doesn't hurt, and is fun to
learn anyway.