[xmonad] darcs patch: quick hack to avoid infinite (but breakable) loop when...

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Fri May 16 16:13:57 EDT 2008

Hi all,

Here's a patch to core to fix a recent regression in xmonad.  Well, maybe
it's not so recent, but I've only recently upgraded my xmonad to the latest
darcs version.  It's a crude fix that leaves in place the whole
isMouseFocused infrastructure and just disables its effect.  Without this
patch, tabbed is not entirely unuseable, but requires that I train myself
to hold the mouse very still while selecting tabs.  I'd rather just have
the old pleasant behavior where I can select even firefox windows without
waiting before letting my mouse drift and without annoying flashing
effects.

David

Fri May 16 15:09:47 CDT 2008  David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net>
  * quick hack to avoid infinite (but breakable) loop when using Tabbed.

  The isMouseFocused hack introduced a race condition where if you click on a
  tab to select a window, and then move the mouse down before the new window
  is selected, the focus will alternate between the previously-focused and
  newly-focused windows in an infinite loop.  This loop can be broken by
  moving the mouse up to the tab area, but it's pretty unpleasant.  This race
  condition is easily triggered on my laptop (and presumably on any older
  computer running bloated applications like firefox).

  I've disabled the responsible behavior in a minimal way, since it seems
  likely that someone may wish to reimplement this behavior, but without the
  race condition.