[xmonad] Ubuntu, Xmonad, and Xinerama

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Wed Mar 19 14:13:56 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 11:02:39AM -0700, Don Stewart wrote:
> I'm not keen on this. We already decided to restrict the recompilation
> checking, to not use --make, to only look at xmonad.hs itself.
>
> Looking at package.confs is something to consider for ghc --make, but
> I strongly feel that's not xmonad job. xmonad.recompile isn't a haskell
> package and build system.

I'm afraid that xmonad.recompile actually is a haskell build system,
whether or not you want it to be one.  If we don't want to implement a
haskell build system, we shouldn't implement one, rather than implementing
a poor build system, and saddling our users with a confusing
hard-to-upgrade package.

I agree that since the only reason we introduce any timestamp-checking at
all is for efficiency we don't want to make it ultra-sophisticated.  But
it'd be nice if it at least worked in the common case.
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics