[xmonad] Ubuntu, Xmonad, and Xinerama

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Wed Mar 19 14:00:00 EDT 2008

droundy:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 11:20:17AM +0100, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > > Is it possible that having a custom ~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs that wasn't
> > > changed across updates could cause xinerama to fail because
> > > ~/.xmonad/xmonad-i386-linux doesn't get rebuilt?
> >
> > Quite possible, happens to me all the time :-)
>
> Someone really should figure out how to build software reliably using ghc
> packages.  This is just embarassing.  And then we could tell the cabal
> folks how to do this.

If in doubt, recompile.

> I understand that dons is reluctant to load up ghc every time xmonad loads,
> but perhaps we could figure out some way to track the modification date of
> the xmonad and/or xmonad-contrib packages and recompile if those have
> changed.

that's a long open ticket for cabal, and I'm not keen to duplicate that
for xmonad.

we have a simple policy: look only at xmonad.hs, and compile if it
is out of date. that's the only rule. anything else is duplicating
--make and chunks of cabal in an ad hoc way.

having smarter recompilation checking is not an issue i feel we have to
solve, but we can lean on the cabal and ghc guys to improve things at
their end.

-- Don