[xmonad] Ubuntu, Xmonad, and Xinerama

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Tue Mar 18 12:16:37 EDT 2008

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 18.03.2008, 11:47 -0400 schrieb Chris Sanner:
> So color me a newbie, to xmonad, haskell, programming, etc.
> I was running the unofficial xmonad package for gutsy, but upgraded to
> hardy heron and their included versions of xmonad and associated haskell
> libraries (right term?) because it appeared to be more cleanly set up to
> modify my xmonad install.
> Unfortunately, when I did this my xinerama/twinview support went away.
> I've now got one giant expanse of screen instead of two discrete workspaces.
>
> The digging I've done on google suggested that libghc6-x11 is built
> without xinerama support, but i found:
> /usr/lib/X11-1.4.1/ghc-6.8.2/Graphics/X11/Xinerama.hi
> in the package.
>
> There were a lot of scripts and commands suggested to be run, but I need
> a few more basic pieces to the instruction before I can run those - any
> help would be appreciated, and I'm willing to run (and probably install)
> most anything to get it right.  I'd *prefer* not to step too far outside
> the boundaries of the debs, but would be willing to do so to submit
> patches/bug reports upstream.

Thanks for the report. I guess this problem can be traced back to the
Debian package for haskell-x11. I’m not sure if Igloo, haskell-x11’s
maintainer, sees a problem in Xinerama support. If not, I’m sure he will
fix this in the near future. See

You can locally recompile and install (in that order) haskell-x11,
xmonad, xmonad-contrib. If you have libxinerama-dev and
x11proto-xinerama-dev (not sure which) installed while doing so, you’ll
get xinerama support. If you need more detailed instructions, feel free
to ask.

Greetings,
Joachim

--