[xmonad] Ubuntu, Xmonad, and Xinerama

Chris Sanner hitch at propheteer.org
Tue Mar 18 11:47:05 EDT 2008

So color me a newbie, to xmonad, haskell, programming, etc.
I was running the unofficial xmonad package for gutsy, but upgraded to
hardy heron and their included versions of xmonad and associated haskell
libraries (right term?) because it appeared to be more cleanly set up to
modify my xmonad install.
Unfortunately, when I did this my xinerama/twinview support went away.
I've now got one giant expanse of screen instead of two discrete workspaces.

The digging I've done on google suggested that libghc6-x11 is built
without xinerama support, but i found:
/usr/lib/X11-1.4.1/ghc-6.8.2/Graphics/X11/Xinerama.hi
in the package.

There were a lot of scripts and commands suggested to be run, but I need
a few more basic pieces to the instruction before I can run those - any
help would be appreciated, and I'm willing to run (and probably install)
most anything to get it right.  I'd *prefer* not to step too far outside
the boundaries of the debs, but would be willing to do so to submit
patches/bug reports upstream.

Thanks in advance.

Christopher Sanner   | mailto:hitch at propheteer.org
Phone  :571-277-0206 | http://propheteer.org/

The universe is like a grapefruit -- it's yellow and dimply, and some people
have half of one for breakfast.