[xmonad] Getting back my Gnome mouse pointer

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Tue Mar 4 13:21:23 EST 2008

On Mar 4, 2008, at 13:01 , Magnus Therning wrote:

> Try xsetroot.
>
> Hmm, I was just assuming that 'xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr'
> wouldn't work, but it did.  Should really learn to try things
> before complaining.  Not really sure why this happens though, all
> the other comix cursors get set just fine, only left_ptr that's
> ugly after logging in.

Most of the GNOME (and KDE) substitute cursors are (possibly
animated) pixmap replacements for normal bitmap cursors, and can't be
managed by the server directly but are managed on the fly by looking
at the server-level cursor that has been requested; the substitution
is based on the standard cursor name, so you need to set the root
window (== system default) cursor to the expected left_ptr for the
default substitute cursor to be recognized and installed.

(An X11 extension to support animated pixmap cursors directly would
obviate this but doesn't seem to be in the works.)

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu