[xmonad] Session configuration in xmonad under kdm

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Sat Jun 7 21:54:38 EDT 2008

Spencer Janssen wrote:
> Is ~/.xsession the right place?  I know that I start xmonad inside my
> .xsession, which is obviously a problem if we'd like to source it in a WM
> initialization routine.  How do GNOME and KDE handle this?

The idea of this setup is that if you want to use xmonad
both ways, your .xsession would test the SESSION_TYPE
environment variable. (Maybe it should be X_SESSION_TYPE?)

GNOME and KDE ignore the classic X startup conventions.
Instead, there are various ways to configure how a session
starts up that work with their more complex session management
systems.

We could do something similar for xmonad - have a "startup"
script or subdirectory inside .xmonad, and then require that
xmonad always start using startxmonad (except inside kde
or gnome).

It seems to me that you would then lose some of the feeling that
xmonad is a simple window manager in the classic sense,
not a "desktop environment" like gnome or kde. But it's a possibility.

I do think that there should not be a major difference between
a vanilla xmonad session started via kdm or gdm or startx.
They all should use .xsession, or all use .xmonad/startup.

Thanks,
Yitz