[xmonad] Re: Modular config

Justin Bogner mail at justinbogner.com
Thu Jul 24 00:54:52 EDT 2008

Spencer Janssen wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 04:12:08PM -0600, Justin Bogner wrote:
>> recompile calls ghc --make, but supplies the -i argument, which
>> suppresses including the current directory in the search path. This means
>> that one can't break up xmonad.hs into modules in their own .xmonad
>> directory.
>>
>> I don't see any particularly good reason to prevent this, so here's a
>> patch that removes the -i argument. An equivalent change would be to
>> change "-i" to "-i.", which explicitly sets the search path, but the ghc
>> docs state that this is the default anyway, so I think that removing it
>> makes more sense.
>
> This is not compatible with case-insensitive file systems, such as those on OS
> X.  When the user writes 'import XMonad', GHC will attempt to use
> ~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs rather than the installed library module.
>

> Cheers,
> Spencer Janssen

The case sensitive default filesystem on OS X angers me once again.
Personally, I've reformatted to the case sensitive version of HFS, but I
can see how this would be a concern.

If there is no way around this, I'm interested in making it work from
within my xmonad.hs. I've tried using an OPTIONS_GHC pragma, but it
doesn't seem to work. Is there something wrong with the following?

{-# OPTIONS_GHC -i. #-}

--
Justin Bogner