[xmonad] Re: A New Solution to Removing the GHC Dependency

Matthias Kilian kili at outback.escape.de
Tue Jul 22 15:37:45 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 06:49:54AM -0500, brian wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 4:31 AM, Miernik <public at public.miernik.name> wrote:
> > This is perfectly true. Someone here said that "124 MB is not a lot, are
> > you sure its a problem?". Well, it bloody is, its just killing the idea
> > of using a light window manager. [...]
>
> XMonad is light in terms of lines of source and errors per line. If
> you're in some kind of disk space crisis that nobody else in the world
> knows anything about, you can definitely get some WM that takes fewer
> bytes on disk. But maybe just think for a minute about whether that
> would make any sense.

You should be aware that there's more than only big fat i386 and
amd64 (or x86_64 or what it's called on Linux) with hundreds of GB
of disk space.

For example, there's the Zaurus C3000, with impressive 4 GB disk
space.  Well, I'm a snob, I own a C3200 with 6 GB, and once GHC is
ported to arm, which may happen within the next 6 to 12 months,
I'll of course install it on my Zaurus, but other users may just
want to run XMonad, without having to depend on a full GHC installation.

And there are some similarly limited toys in the wild that are much
less exotic than a Zaurus running OpenBSD (think of the Eee PC).

For now, people who want to use XMonad on such gear have to either
stick to the default configuration or to install GHC.

Ciao,
	Kili