[xmonad] Re: Floating gnome-do

Daniel Spoonhower spoons at cmu.edu
Tue Jul 8 12:27:59 EDT 2008

If you haven't found it yet, this documentation might be helpful:

http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/xmonad-contrib/0.7/doc/html/XMonad-Doc-Extending.html#15

"doIgnore" tells XMonad not to do any management of Gnome Do.  This is
what you want -- you don't want any tiling, window borders, title bars,
etc. for Do.  (At least, I assume this is what you want -- this is the
way I have Do set up.)

When you say "didn't work" do you mean that the global key binding
doesn't work?  Or that the Do window pops up in a strange place?  Or
some other problem?

--spoons

Tom Thorne wrote:
> Sorry gmail decided to send my email while I was halfway through
> writing it - I tried using xprop and the WM_CLASS output is something
> like /usr/lib/gnome-do/Do.exe for both the resource and class names.
>
> Adding class =? "/usr/lib/gnome-do/Do.exe" --> doFloat didn't work..
>
> can I add doFloat to the Do.exe -> doIgnore in my xmonad.hs somehow
> (Do.exe -> doIgnore is also for gnomedo, no idea what it does but it
> was mentioned in another post i found on this list and is needed for
> the key presses to work I think)
>
> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 4:21 PM, Braden Shepherdson
> <Braden.Shepherdson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tom Thorne wrote:
>>> I've been trying to get a floating gnome-do without much success, I've
>>> never programmed haskell before so i'm just cutting and pasting other
>>> peoples xmonad.hs together!
>>>
>>> this is what my xmonad.hs looks like (I don't have a haskell mode for
>>> emacs either hence the no doubt hideous indentation)
>>>
>>> import XMonad
>>> import XMonad.Hooks.ManageDocks