[xmonad] Home page redesign

Jeremy Shaw jeremy at n-heptane.com
Mon Jul 7 15:45:22 EDT 2008

At Mon, 7 Jul 2008 03:25:50 -0700,

> Critique welcome.
> Passes validation as xhtml transitional and css 2.1.

I would suggest that passing html 4.01 (strict) validation would be
more useful.

See this page:

And, this related posted I recently sent to the haskell server pages
list when dealing with some related issues:

and this article:

Short Version:

 - serving xhtml as text/html is broken and provides little or no
   useful benefits

 - serving xhtml as application/xml+xhtml does not work with konqueror
   or IE (and probably lynx and links)

 - in my opinion, HTML 5 has a much greater chance of succeeding than
   any version of xhtml. So, you might as well use HTML 4.01 strict.

 - in my opinion HTML 5 and WAS 1.0 will be pretty cool.

In my opinion, the *only* reason to use xhtml would be if:

 - you wanted to use some feature that *only* works with xhtml (such
   as MathML, svg, etc).

 - you actually serve the page as application/xml+xhtml, which means

    - you are completely fine with the page not being viewable at all
      with konqueror, ie, links, lynx, and several other browsers.

Up until a few months ago, I also would have used xhtml, but now I am
pretty much HTML all the way.

Anyway, I am happy to answer any questions you have, and I won't
complain if you decide to stick with xhtml.