[xmonad] darcs patch: Always float ediff windows

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Thu Jan 31 02:11:26 EST 2008

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 08:37:31PM -0500, Alec Berryman wrote:
> ediff is a popular and widely-used interactive diff/merge mode included
> with emacs.  It works by opening up a small window that the user keeps
> in focus while using ediff commands like next patch; if the main emacs
> window is in focus, none of the ediff key commands are available.  The
> small window generally obscures what the user is interested in and is
> kept as small and out of the way as possible; by default, it opens up
> very tiny in the top right of the screen.
>
> The window is already in way just by existing, but having xmonad try to
> manage it really screws things up.  It's in the same class as MPlayer
> and GIMP; there's no use case for managing it, so do the right thing by
> default and always float it.
>
> I used title instead of className because the className is emacs, and
> floating all emacs buffers is definitely not the right thing to do.

just a side note: with the new WindowArranger it would probably be
possible to reimplement ManageHook on a per layout basis... that is to
say, you could set managing rules for each different layout.

as I said somewhere else, that WindowArranger seems quite powerful to
me (tagging and tag based actions on windows should be possible too,
and very easily implemented with just pure code), but perhaps I'm just
wrong.

But I think a look may be worthy. (I'm not going to be the one since
I'm not really interested in this kind of stuff).

cheers

andrea