[xmonad] xmobar with utf8 support

Spencer Janssen sjanssen at cse.unl.edu
Wed Feb 20 14:47:25 EST 2008

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 03:12:12PM +0100, Andrea Rossato wrote:
> Hi,
>
> today I pushed a few patches to add utf8 support to xmobar. I don't
> think I'm going to add full locale support, since utf8 seems to be
> fine for a minimalistic status bar (moreover, locale support requires
> iconv).
>
> I just need to write a battery plugin with the possibility of setting
> the filepath where to retrieve battery information and then I'll make
> the 0.9 release. So, if you want to give it a try and find a bug, or
> have some other features you would like to see implemented before 0.9,
> speak now, or forever...whatever.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrea

Along the lines of the ongoing discussion on making DynamicLog easier to set
up, have you considered adding StdinReader to xmobar's default config?  It
would be really cool to add an 'xmobar' combinator, similar to the current
'dzen' function.  The idea is that we can make it really easy for the user to
set up a nice status bar with clock, xmonad info, etc.  If we make this change
for the next version of xmobar, I think we can start recommending xmobar over
dzen because it constitutes a solution that works out of the box.

Target xmonad.hs:

> import XMonad
> import XMonad.Hooks.DynamicLog
>
> main = xmobar xmonad

(or something like this)  No shell scripting required!

Cheers,
Spencer Janssen