[xmonad] Re: Always sink mplayer

Braden Shepherdson Braden.Shepherdson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 15:41:44 EST 2008

Jesús Guerrero wrote:
> On Thu, December 4, 2008 13:00, Ricardo Martins wrote:
>> Are you sure you don't have a rule in you xmonad.hs for floating mplayer?
>> I just
>> tested the line I sent you and it didn't work (i.e., sink mplayer)
>> *before* I
>> also removed every other reference to MPlayer. The sink rule didn't
>> override the
>> other rules for mplayer.
>>

> That's the first thing I thought. But there's nothing that is immediately
> related on a first glance.
>
> The only other two references to mplayer are these:
>
> The layout of the mplayer desktop (noBorder Full), that's where mplayer
> runs. However I turned off any custom layout on that desktop, and the
> result is still the same.
>
> A doShift line to shift any mplayer window to the mplayer desktop. Not
> related either.
>
> I am going to investigate a bit more. The answer must be somewhere. If
> anyone wants to take a look I attach my config. There's nothing really
> strange about it. Pretty standard stuff.
>
> Again, thanks so much for reading and taking the time to answer. And
> regards. ;)

 From the xmonad core:

manageHook :: ManageHook
manageHook = composeAll
                 [ className =? "MPlayer"        --> doFloat
                 , className =? "Gimp"           --> doFloat ]

That's the ManageHook from defaultConfig. If you don't use the Gimp,
just drop "manageHook defaultConfig" from your xmonad.hs. If you do use
the Gimp, copy that second hook into your config's ManageHook.

Braden Shepherdson
shepheb