[xmonad] Always sink mplayer

Jesús Guerrero i92guboj at terra.es
Thu Dec 4 06:47:53 EST 2008

On Thu, December 4, 2008 11:28, Ricardo Martins wrote:
> Oops, it seems I forgot to reply to list. Sorry!
>
> On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 10:24, Jesús Guerrero wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I can't seem to find anything (that works) that allows me to start
>> mplayer
>> sinked into the layout. I don't want it to float since I start mplayer
>> into a separate monitor. I use the latest git as of today's date. Is
>> there
>> anything like doSink (instead of doFloat) or something like that?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>> --
>> Jesús Guerrero
>
> Try adding the following to your manageHook:
>
> [ className =? "MPlayer" --> (ask >>= doF . W.sink) ]

Thank you very much for your response.

I've tried a number of variants and I am beginning to think that there's
something odd about mplayer with xmonad. I've tried adding the following
three lines, just in case (and based on your advise):

---------
  [ className =? "MPlayer"                 --> (ask >>= doF . W.sink)
  , title =? "MPlayer"                 --> (ask >>= doF . W.sink)
  , resource =? "MPlayer"                 --> (ask >>= doF . W.sink)
---------

However it doesn't seem to change anything. It doesn't fail either. Xmonad
recompiles config.hs just ok and it restarts without problems. But nothing
seems to change.

Xprop tells my that "MPlayer" is the correct string for WM_NAME,
WM_ICON_NAME and WM_CLASS:

---------
WM_STATE(WM_STATE):
                window state: Normal
                icon window: 0x0
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
                program specified location: 256, 192
                program specified size: 512 by 384
                program specified minimum size: 4 by 4
                program specified minimum aspect ratio: 512/384
                program specified maximum aspect ratio: 512/384
                window gravity: Static
WM_ICON_NAME(STRING) = "MPlayer"
WM_NAME(STRING) = "MPlayer"
_NET_WM_PID(CARDINAL) = 27902
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "xv", "MPlayer"
WM_PROTOCOLS(ATOM): protocols  WM_DELETE_WINDOW
---------

The window still sits floating in the center of the monitor.

In any case, thanks again for answering. Cheers :)
--
Jesús Guerrero