[xmonad] Dropped patches

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Fri Aug 29 21:02:05 EDT 2008

On 2008 Aug 29, at 17:04, Spencer Janssen wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 04:45:50PM -0400, Gwern Branwen wrote:
>> * "XDG_CONFIG_HOME support"
>> <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-May/005762.html>.
>> Applicable. Commented upon. The discussion never came to any
>> conclusion I can see. The 5 non-patch emails discussing it:
>> ** sjanssen, opposed (or at least skeptical): <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-May/005765.html
>> >
>> ** dons, noncommittal: <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-May/005770.html
>> >
>> ** Brandon Allbery, in favor of (?): <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-May/005771.html
>> >
>> ** Devin Mullins, opposed: <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-May/005772.html
>> >
>> ** Isaac Jones, in favor of: <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-May/005774.html
>> >.
>
> Isaac Dupree.

Definitely in favor, since my home directory lives on a network
filesystem but state like this needs to be per-host.  I currently have
some *very* ugly workarounds that mostly work (need to be careful with
~, and with programs like ssh which trust /etc/passwd instead of
$HOME), but proper XDG_CONFIG_HOME support would make most of it
unnecessary.

And if xmonad doesn't come with this support I will have to install it
locally:  *all* undergrad accounts live in AFS, not local disk, so
xmonad won't work when the user is logged into multiple machines
(which they will be; ECE undergrad coursework involves large
distributed Matlab and Cadence runs).

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu